Saturday 1 December 2007

Algeizira Sports Club, a Great Place

I will begin this post by paying tribute to some of the greatest thinkers of the 20th century, Monty Python - Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones, and Michael Palin. Besides doing to comedy what the wheel did to getting around, it has provided some of the best social commentary, quite unintentionally I think. To my knowledge there haven't been any skits about Egypt, but in the film Monty Python and the Holy Grail, there is a scene where the freedom fighters are bemoaning the Roman occupation of their land. The leader, played by John Cleese, asks the rhetorical question (I'm paraphrasing): 'What have the Romans ever done for us?'. The response from an unexpectedly literal member of the group replies 'the aqueduct'. The skit soon degenerates into a long list of what the Romans brought to that fictional province, making the Freedom Fighters look like ungrateful children.
The Golf Course, as seen from the Zamalek offices of Systel
The reason I bring this up us that Algeizira Sports Club was established by the British, assumably while occuping Egypt. Now, whoa, hang on - I am not advocating or even condoning colonialism, neo-colonialism or any subjugation of a country's sovereignty, no matter how silly that country is acting (pay attention, Americans). People generally get the leaders they deserve. What I am saying is this: if some foreign occupier did something tiny amount good for in country, use it to its fullest extent possible - see it as rent. And that is definitely the case with the Sports Club - its a social gathering point for a multitude of inhabitants of Cairo (Caironese?).
The Club on a Map of Cairo and my figure.

The club physically occupies half of the island of Zamalek, between Central Cairo and Mohandiseen. The central offices of Systel, Ismail's company are very near by (most of the photos of Zamalek are taken from the upper floors of the offices). Ahmed usually parks there, due to the parking problems that grip most of Cairo during the day. It comprises a golf course, a 400m running track, assorted sports fields, basket ball and squash courts. There is also assorted cafes and at least one restaurant. In general it is green, leafy and has a large amount of open space - in short, a paradise in any city. There is also what seems to be sitting room - a big room with comfy chairs. Ahmed says that he used to study there, and it looks like it could be quite a peaceful place to work.
The Club House, no zany gang hanging around, damn sitcoms
So what did I do in this extremely civilised retreat? I ran, did some push ups, sit ups and a bit of squash (hey, I'm trying, even though this is my holiday). The track was really nice because it was rubberised, and so I easily did a couple of kms. Most people go there to play sports, either as part of a formal team, or just a few friendly game with friends. I even played a few sets of squash, although my hand-eye co-ordination is not so strong. Needless to say, I was quite stiff the next day.
The scene of my punishment
Coming Soon: The Pyramids, the only remaining wonder of the ancient world. I'm going to try and do that on Saturday.

1 comment:

Daena said...

baby - you cant spell...